Thursday, February 11, 2016

Not Just For Laughs

If you have not seen  How I Met Your Mother yet and plan on watching it then DO NOT READ THIS.

Although I am not normally a huge fan of sitcoms, How I Met Your Mother is one of my favorite TV shows. It is about a guy named Ted, the comedic hero, who is telling his kids the story about how he met their mother. Ted and his friends are constantly getting into strange, funny, and awkward situations as Ted searches for the perfect woman. However, almost every time he tries to date a girl something goes wrong.

Eventually, towards the end of the series he finds a girl named Tracy. Everything seems to be going great and eventually they marry and have children. But, she dies of illness. Years later Ted's love for Robin, one of the main characters and former girlfriend of his, is rekindled. And they end up together.

Although parts of How I Met Your Mother are more serious, it is still a Aristotle comedy. It also teaches the audience that although things don't always turn out the way we want them to there is almost always a silver lining.

1 comment:

  1. I have never actually seen How I Met Your Mother (oops), but I agree that a sitcom (like Friends or Seinfeld) always has characters who perfectly define Aristotle's idea of comedy because the characters always rise in fortune somehow (how could the comedy be enjoyable any other way?!).

    ReplyDelete