Thursday, January 29, 2015

So maybe I Like Poetry...

A lot of people I know shy away from the thought of poetry.  Poetry can be sad, depressing, complicated, and impossible to decipher. However, I think that because of it's depth it is that much more interesting and relate-able.  When I read poetry (that I understand of course) it is captivating. I love how the words lay a path to guide you through the emotions of the poet.  I like to observe the metaphors used to explain their situations in pragmatic ways that we, as the reader, can understand.  That's what I think is one of the cool things about poetry.  You can read a poem that talks about being lonely but instead of saying it sucks and it's no fun a poem can portray the feelings one might have by saying:

The Hole- MC Smith

As I inched toward the hole in the ground,
my toes lining the edge of the deep darkness before me,
the diameter stretched for miles
The drop was endless
I gazed around the rim
and no one was there
but me.
Gazing down at this dark dim gut wrenching drop.

You can tell by the tone that the speaker is unhappy and you still get the sense that they are alone.  No one is with them and they seem almost hopeless.  They aren't saying I'm lonely and I hate it because they don't have to, you can just feel it.  You can especially physically see it as the lines "but me" stand alone.  It's just so much cooler to say it without actually saying it.  I get that sometimes it doesn't make sense reading a poem that is confusing and won't get to the point is frustrating, but honestly I think that it is so much more interesting to try to find the point yourself instead of being handed the point on a plate. Yes I'm the girl in the back of the auditorium tearing up during the spoken word competition, but hey in my defense words can be powerful and I'm just an easy target.

1 comment:

  1. I feel you on the Spoken Word performances. It's easy to cite them as an annoyance and all when they seem to be the only people in class with really powerful poetry like they're too dedicated, but that's because they commit themselves to really using language powerfully and you can't deny that power in their success.

    ReplyDelete