Friday, January 30, 2015

A Song in the Front Yard.

One of my favorite poems from the packet that we did not go over in class was A Song in the Front Yard by Gwendolyn Brooks. I like this poem because of the perspective it gives to the reader of how children view the world. The first two lines of the poem read "I've stayed in the front yard all my life/ I want a peek at the back ." The front yard and backyard in these two lines act as symbols for higher and lower social status. Later in the poem it reads "I want to go in the back yard now/And maybe down the alley,/ To where the charity children play/I want a good time today." The speaker of the poem wants to go play in the "back yard" regardless of the social class of the people who live there. This demonstrates how children often do not care about social class but instead care about other things such as having fun and being adventurous. This is one of many examples in the poem that gives the reader perspective into how children view the world.

1 comment:

  1. I agree I really like this poem. I thought that it had a great view on what children see.

    ReplyDelete