Thursday, January 29, 2015

My Favorite Poem In The Packet

My favorite poem from the poetry packet is Traveling through the Dark by William E. Stafford. Its power lies in its ability to reveal the perpetrations we commit in the name of convenience. The speaker is driving along a dark, windy, canyon road, when he notices a deer, laying on its side, dead. He stops, examines the deer, finding it pregnant, and noticing the baby still alive in the mother's belly. But he is standing in the road, and the road is narrow. He pushes the deer over the edge of the cliff and drives away.

The speaker shows the reader that he's under pressure to push the deer over the edge in the last paragraph. He describes the rumbling exhaust purring at him, the wilderness watching his every move, and the headlights pointing down the road.

The last two lines are the most crucial:

"I thought hard for us all—my only swerving—, /then pushed her over the edge into the river."

When the speaker adopts the group-think mentality, he strays from the right course. So this poem is a relatable example of the psychology that breeds conformity and the bystander effect. The speaker takes action when he pushed the deer over the edge, but what he's really doing is avoiding it. By shoving the deer over the edge, he avoids having to deal with the mess. And he even avoids having to live with a dirty conscience: he justifies his action by framing himself as a hero, the savior of those who drive on dark, windy roads.

Stafford has a strong message for us all: we need to all consider situations like these and take a firm stance so that want for convenience and the effects of fear don't sway us into taking the "easy way out."

3 comments:

  1. I like that you touched on group mentality and bystander effect because it isn't entirely clear to the reader when they first read it, but it definitely contributes to the speaker's actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this poem earlier and didn't even think of the bystander aspect of the poem. now that I think about it, that probably makes more sense than my argument. Awesome analysis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this poem earlier and the first time I read it I was confused about what it's significance was. I think you do a great job of capturing what this poem means and it makes you think about how you decide on the actions you commit to.

    ReplyDelete