Thursday, January 29, 2015

Smell the Roses

The more we study poetry the more it becomes apparent to me that there are two ways of reading it: one as literature and one as art. I think the distinction is important to make, and maybe I'm being Nabakovian about this but when we try to blend the technical with the artistic in analysis, things get messy.

I think we need to be clear in discussions if we are coming at analysis from an artistic or technical view, because truly artful poetry includes both, but if we let our search for meaning inhibit our enjoyment of the poem, then we have to acknowledge it.

This rings the same in other art forms. I'm partial to dance, and have experienced the same struggle. Ballet in particular is incredibly technical, with details and choreography worked out in as much depth as a Faulkner sentence. Within this technique, though, is the necessity for artistry. There are many dancers whose technique is incredibly precise but they aren't as enjoyable to watch; other dancers possess artistry that draws the viewer's attention despite many technical flaws. When I go to see dance shows I have to tell myself not to get wrapped up in the technical criticisms and sit and enjoy the artistry. However, if I were to critique the company as a whole, I would have to pay attention to the fine details of their technique.

It's similar in music. I can spend hours finding grammar errors in lyrics or counting chords, and if I were to formally critique it, I would need to. But the overarching goal is for it to be enjoyed.

I guess this is just a mini-PSA to say that in spite of all of this poetry analysis and deep thinking about meaning, poetry is still an art and art is meant to be enjoyed above all, not just scrutinized to within an inch of its life. Maybe as we drift away from essays we can stop to smell the roses and just appreciate writing for how it makes us feel and not why it makes us feel that way.

Conversely, "This poetic device enhances the meaning of the poem because it entertained me," isn't usually a valid analysis in an essay. Just saying.

1 comment:

  1. Great point, and your connection to dance really illustrates it well! It reminds me of my family's unhappiness during the winter Olympics in Sochi when that really young Russian won first in one of the figure skating events. Her technique was absolutely stunning, but she hadn't had the experience and personal growth to integrate true artistry into her movements. That blend requires skill in all art forms, and understanding that need opens up so much more understanding of the art form itself.

    ReplyDelete