Friday, September 11, 2015

Should we run Countries like Prisons?

"If we ran Nigeria like this cell, we would have no problems."
This quote from Cell One stood out to me and I changed my opinion on it as the story progressed. When Nnamabia first made this statement I had yet to read about how violent and degrading prison life at Enugu was. I knew there was police/guard brutality, but there seemed to be more violence and chaos outside the prison so Nnamabia's idea seemed rational.

However as the story continued it became clear that people at Enugu were being killed every day and everyone there was a victim of both physical and mental abuse. This is when the quote started to bother me. If Nigeria were ran like the prison, sure it might be more organized, but the amount of violence occurring probably wouldn't change. People would continue to live in fear and if the cults were less active it would be because of violence inflicted on citizens by a higher power.

Nnamabia made the statement about running Nigeria like the cell before he knew the extent of what occurred in the prison. Yet he couldn't have been totally ignorant about what was going on so I'm surprised that he believed that no problems would arise if the country was actually run this way.

1 comment:

  1. Hey this is a really good post. I agree with you. There would still be lots of violence in the country. The fact that he made a strong statement like this I think reveals a lot about who he is as a character.

    ReplyDelete