Saturday, March 2, 2019

Chicago, the center of attention

One of my favorite film of all time that involved comedy is Chicago. This weekend, I watched the play that our school held and I thought that the play was phenomenal. Although there are many genres to the film, one genre that I will be focusing on is comedy. Chicago centers around the main character, Roxie Hart, who was sent to prison after murdering her husband. When sent to prison, she was competing with another women, Velma Kelly, and competed to see who can get more attention throughout their stay.


Chicago is a great example of a Satirical Comedy. The whole movie is set with interactions between criminals. When Roxie realized that she had the opportunity to become famous during her imprisonment, she took great advantage of that and basically ended up sabotaging Velma throughout the process. The fight between the two characters is what makes this movie a comedy. As Aristotle defines comedy, the most important component of it is that it should have a rise in fortune of a sympathetic central character. Although the central character, Roxie, didn't really earn my sympathy throughout the movie, she was someone who ended up rising in fortune at the end, although it wasn't the fame that she was wanting. 

I feel like Chicago gives a great representation on how millennias act today when it comes to attention. Many teenagers do not act like themselves in public or in social media for the sole purpose of seeking attention to the point where they would continue to scroll through Instagram to see how many likes they've got or going through Twitter to see the number of retweets. Even I feel as though I have fallen into a hole where I would even filter pictures to the point where I do not even look like myself, but with the increase in number of technology and social media, we will just watch our future generation and tell ourselves that they "had it coming".   

No comments:

Post a Comment