Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Why can't we just give it all up?

The Singer Solution to World Poverty, definitely makes me feel bad about myself and the lifestyle I live. I always have thought about how life would be different if I didn’t have all the things I did and now I know. If my parents wouldn’t have took the time to spend $1,000 or more on some tv then 5 or more children lives could be saved. Singer I believe does a really good job setting up his argument by showing how we are no different really then the people he describes in his examples. He really sends you on a guilt trip, which can make you aware of the problems associated with poverty or make upset that he is judging you for the life you live. However, we need to be judged and from those judgement we can learn something.

Do we need a big screen TV, a new car, technology, and to eat out all the time? No, we don’t, but I don’t think it’s that easy for people to just give it all up. If it were, I think the world would be in a much better place and be more economically equal if it were. People just don’t see the problem as being that simple and easy. For some, they don’t even realize the privilege that they have and others choose to say it’s their(people in poverty) problem or their fault for being in poverty. However, you can judge a book by its cover and the story is different for everyone. I would believe most people just fall into this never ending cycle of poverty. A child is born into poverty, is significantly disadvantaged in education and skills, struggles to get a job, so then they fell to escape the poverty cycle. I believe, if we all just gave up some of the privilege we have, the world would be so much more equal in all aspects. 

Now, I say this but do I actually follow it? Yes, but no. The world is such a competitive place and you can either eat or be eaten. I want to chose to eat, but I also want others to eat with me. I don’t want to feel like I need certain things to survive or fit into the norm, but I do. I still give back to those that are less fortunate by donating and volunteer. However, I feel like it isn’t enough and I could do more by giving up more like Singer suggest. Although, I feel this way I just can’t help but also feel I need things like a new phone or something. Why can’t humans just ever do the right thing?

5 comments:

  1. I thought that this was a very good blog post. I like how you recognize and call out the issues that Singer addresses, but you also take responsibility for not completely living up to his standards of living. Some people could have written this in a very hypocritical way, but you wrote it in a self-reflective one. Anyway, all together a really good blog post that I enjoyed reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These conflicts over what we should have or give away is such a hard idea to argue with because maybe we do think that we should give it all up but how many people actually do it. We enjoy our lives and the things that we have that we don't need, I totally understand that your "eat or be eaten" idea and that is part of the reason we believe that we deserve the things we have. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with what you said! It is so easy to say that you want to help those who have less but it is so much harder to actually do it. I also really like the poverty cycle that you pointed out and how it is possible to end this, yet it does not end. Status is a huge reason why people do not give up what they have for other and this is a big problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really great post and like what Katie said, I think you did a great job staying self-reflective and not sounding hypocritical. I struggle with this a lot too and I think it's hard to find a personal balance of giving and taking to feel comfortable with. I really like how you articulated the way Singer made you feel about this, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also felt guilty reading this article. I think it so easy to just spend on things we don't truly need because we have the money do so. Yet, others sadly do not have that option. I agree that Singer sends you on a guilt trip.

    ReplyDelete