Monday, January 29, 2018

The Animal Abuse Commercial

The Animal abuse commercials. We've all seen it. Its engrained in our minds. Even when said, I can hear the song "In The Arms Of An Angel." The commercial is easily classified as a guilt trip. But we can't help but pay the $10 and get the package with a t-shirt. In regards to Singers idea of giving, this is what you're supposed to do. You give and give until you can't give anymore. I don't really side with this. I feel like you should keep some money and resources to yourself. Yes, it is fantastic to give and to further the human race. But sometimes it is ok to be selfish. For example, if you see a homeless man, and you know you have to get gas money with the $20 that your mom gave you. You won't be giving that $20 to the homeless man. Yes, it may be bad and yes reading this may make you say, " wait a second...HE'S SO MEAN!" But realistically, I am right. And it's not just me that does this. I know many people that do, sometimes because they need gas money or money for food, or because they wish to keep their money to save. But in all reality, we do need to help each other out once and awhile. So next time the commercial comes on, I'm asking my mom for her wallet. Singer got to me.

4 comments:

  1. Why can't you use your own money for the next commercial? I think that is more or Singer's point. But anyways, yes I agree with your point. If all we do is give and give until we have nothing left, then we will turn into the ones asking for money. It doesn't make sense to give everything up, but when you are doing well, the right thing to do would give some away. You don't want to be selfish, but you also don't want to be greedy. And I think that line can be very fine sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well. I think what Singer fails to define is how much one is supposed to give. Should it be based on income? Like, of course Trump should be donating more than my family because he makes a ton more money. But is that an excuse for me to not give more? I agree with Rowe that it is a very fine line. I don't think you should have only what you need, because that could decay the quality of life- just look at people right on the poverty line in the US. Just enough is never really enough. So, I think giving is good, but we must be cautious in our generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your blog post. It is ok to be selfish because that money is money that you or your parents have earned. If everybody is giving all of their money away, then society will be different. People will not be trying as hard and living a normal life like everybody else. You should be able to buy some things that you enjoy and want to buy regardless of if you need it or not. With that being said, some of your money should be going to help end these causes. The question is how much?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your blog post. I agree with it a lot. Like Rowe said, if everything is going your way I dont see there is any point in just keeping it all to yourself. I understand why someone would because it is their money and they worked hard for it.

    ReplyDelete