Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Grounded

Long story short, my parents grounded me this past Wednesday. I am not allowed out, and I don't have my phone or the car for quite awhile. Some of you may have just gasped or shook your head, as you have experienced a similar type of "cruel" punishment from your parents. Yes..I appreciate the empathetic thoughts because at first I was DEVASTATED as well… then I read Frankl's memoir Thursday night.

"Perhaps it can be understood, then, that even the strongest of us was longing for the time when he would have fairly good food again, not for the sake of good food itself, but for the sake of knowing that the sub-human existence, which had made us unable to think of anything other than food, would at last cease" (Frankl, 43).

While this was not his intention, I read this excerpt from Frankl's memoir and ended up feeling frustrated with myself for being so upset by my minute problems. The guilt I had with myself was overwhelming.

It is undeniable that people in our community suffer great grievances. However, I feel we believe little petty grievances commends suffering. Many of us can get caught living in our own bubble, especially in Oak Park and River Forest; we have a roof over our heads, and attend a well known school. I believe we get held up by small annoyances, because we are more or less used to suffering being in the form of smaller grievances. I honestly thought I was having a rough time without my phone, but in the grand scheme of life, that is not suffering at all. It is simply a disadvantage or little challenge in the road. However, due to our society and privilege, many think losing your phone, not getting enough likes on instagram, not dressing cute enough for school, etc. are all what seems like the end of the world.

While Frankl's memoir was intended to inform, I read this excerpt in a timely coincidence, and am now reflecting on how I reacted earlier. I believe many of us could use a daily reminder of the bigger picture of the way we live to keep from overreacting to minute problems.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with your reflection. Frankl's memoir puts into perspective the meaning of suffering for a lot of people. I also had to think about my own "suffering" and how that doesn't compare to what people around the world go through and have gone through. I agree that many of us need these reminders about the bigger picture of our own lives.

    ReplyDelete