Sunday, August 30, 2015

Escape from Spiderhead

Overall I did enjoy Escape from Spiderhead. It was unsettling that in this world experimenting with people was okay and that they allowed it, but I also think that that's what made the story so interesting. The power struggle was the most obvious here than in Victory Lap. There was an obvious divide between the criminals that were put into the facility and the people that worked there and were experimenting on them. The criminals were basically prisoners in this place, even though they could feel like they had more freedom than they actually did. This illusion was created by not being able to give them various drugs without their permission. But, if they refused or didn't respond they tried to persuade them and change their mind. I think that that was what made me the most unsettled about it, that even with them having to get permission before administering these drugs they had to recieve consent, but they were willing to do whatever it took to get that consent.

1 comment:

  1. Maddy, I was also a bit uncomfortable reading this story because of inhumane treatment that Jeff and his peers received. I think it mostly bothered me because Jeff had a false sense of freedom. It made me feel really sorry for him.

    ReplyDelete