Thursday, December 4, 2014

It Feels Like a Friday

Dogmatic is a really good word. When I first read it, my mind went to religion. Actually, I went right to the Dalai Lama. I thought of a "dogma", which, according to the dictionary, is "a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true". I thought- why would my mind go straight to religion? Does religion cause this mindless obedience? In some ways, yes. However, religion is also a source of great prosperity and ultimately our world would not be the same with out the powerful influence of religion.

In Light in August however, this mindless obedience is seen in the face of racism. Without question people persecute and assume that the black people are automatically at fault for any crime- even if there is not one shred of evidence. Even if you are just 1/4 black, your heritage incriminates you.

It is this unjustified following that infuriates me. If you have evidence- if you have PROOF that a person is the criminal- punish them as you would anyone else. If you have a reason to follow a religious dogma, do so. However, don't push these beliefs or racist ideologies on others. Each person is entitled to their own opinion, so let them have one.

Also, today is Thursday. But it feels like a Friday.

1 comment:

  1. I can't help but think of the recents events in Ferguson and with Mr. Gardner in New York when I read the part where you said "your heritage incriminates you". I think much of the riots that are taking place right now hinge on this belief.

    ReplyDelete