Monday, December 1, 2014

Hidden Racism

While I was reading my group's assigned passage today, one specific paragraph stuck with me, which made me think about racism, specifically hidden racism. On page 288, Faulkner writes "Among them the casual Yankees and the poor whites and even the southerners who had lived for a while in the north, who believed aloud that it was an anonymous negro crime committed not by a negro but by Negro..." (Faulkner 288). I find it interesting that Faulkner doesn't include the group of people who would be thought of as the racists, which are the true southerners. He lists people who are from the north and or wouldn't be view as racist, but they are. 

I then thought of my History of Chicago class where my teacher told us that, after his visit to Chicago, Martin Luther King Jr. said that Chicago was the racist city he has ever been to. This, at first surprised me because Chicago is in the north and people from the north tend to be "less racist." But this hidden racism in the north seems to be the worst form of racism after all. Through this passage Faulkner is showing how in his time period, everyone was racist to an extent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment