Thursday, October 2, 2014

Wordless


This blog post is influenced by my lack of inspiration to write anything... blog post and college essay alike.

It seems quite odd that we can go on talking about ourselves until we are actually asked to talk about ourselves, doesn't it?

I'd like to believe that I know what kind of person I am and what I enjoy doing because there's no one who knows me better than myself. The same most likely holds true for all of us... yet whenever I am asked "what's your favorite ______," I always find myself without any idea as how to answer the question. This is precisely why I have procrastinated on finishing my supplement essays: I can't even start. Perhaps I'm over-thinking what the college is asking me when they ask for an essay on my favorite TV show or movie or book or website, but how can they expect anything less than a senior over-analyzing the essay? These essays are arguably the only factor we can directly control! If they're not satisfactory to our standards, what will be?

Similarly, I probably have a lot to say about King Lear and Camus and existentialism, however I find that when looking at the blank page of a blog post, I struggle to find an original idea that I can elaborate on. There's nothing more unsatisfying than feeling as though you have a point to address and being unable to phrase your argument in words.

I'm sure many others have experienced similar frustrations as my own, and I could probably go on a plethora of tangents about this topic, however I've found myself in the midst of a writer's block... hence the reason for this post.

2 comments:

  1. The struggle to write an all-encompassing, quirky, attention-grabbing essay is real. I find myself in the same situation all the time, most recently with this blog post. Good luck with your application process, you're gonna kill it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Yohanna. Writing college application essays is a challenge because we are forced to sell ourselves to people we don't even know using a restrictive prompt.

    ReplyDelete