Thursday, October 2, 2014

My life in 250-650 words

Since I have no clue what else to write about, I am going to rant, so bare with me. The college application process is so bizarre especially the essay part. These apps are supposed to tell an admissions officer who we are? I just do not understand how that is possible. Us human beings are extremely complicated creatures and I am pretty sure, although I may be wrong, that my GPA and ACT scores are not telling someone who I am as a person. But wait, that is when the essays come into play, right? Wrong. How is it possible for me to fit my personality/character in less than 650 words that solely revolve around one question? The answer is that it isn't possible. Some of these essay questions are so specific that we are only able to show them a glimpse of part of our personality. I think that the whole process is absurd and I guess we have to face the absurdity of life to be happy but personally I believe that the college process would be a good one to escape from.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with what you are saying. I find the whole process absurd. They admissions officers say they're taking a "holistic" approach when observing applicants, but, as you said, they are only looking at a small portion of our lives. I also feel that the overly specific essay prompts and short word limits hold back our creativity that we have developed through writing essays from more open-ended prompts throughout our time at OPRF. When I write these essays, I am so worried about getting my point across and answering every last aspect of the prompt that I do not have room to express my creativity, which I find to be very sad.

    ReplyDelete