Thursday, October 2, 2014

Folger Shakespeare Library: How important is it really in understanding Shakespeare?

Thunk! I looked in front of me to find a thick purple novel.


"Folger Shakespeare Library" it read. I admit I groaned (to the point my neighbor gave me a funny glare) for in years past, I struggled to appreciate Shakespeare while reading his stories in English class. I couldn't help but doubt that this year would be different. "A Midsummer Night's Dream", "Hamlet", "Romeo and Juliet": I've read each, always feeling somewhat indifferent at the end of the play. My struggle was depending on something besides "No Fear Shakespeare", like Isabel said. Yes, I could understand the basic events of the story; however, underlying themes or emotions often escaped me. My frustration grew as my teacher pointed out the universality of Shakespeare's texts through his numerous themes because I struggled to find them myself.


However, I found an idea to cling to in "King Lear". The story chronicles a King and how he must choose to divide his Kingdom for his three daughters as long as they yield to his desires. His youngest daughter, Cordelia, confesses her love for her father but also defies his wish to have her married. Her rebellious, independent spirit excited me as I continued to read on in the novel. As Nabokov would argue, a "true work" encourages the reader to understand the view of the characters directly from their viewpoint. And Mr. Heidkamp's exercise for tomorrow only yields itself to that point. As we each take significant roles in various acts, I am expected to portray Cordelia tomorrow. To understand the story from the Cordelia's viewpoint. Mr. Heidkamp's alternative to solely reading the text seems daunting, but, also, potentially fulfilling. As a woman who values her independence, I have found little trouble in understanding Cordelia's internal struggle and I'm eager to find out if that connection might help my understanding of the text. A complex text with relatable themes, "King Lear" seems like a no-brainer to add to the Senior English Curriculum; here's to hoping we all appreciate the novel as it seems the rest of the world already does!

2 comments:

  1. I also inwardly groan whenever I learn that we have to read Shakespeare, just because it is so hard to read. Though, in the end, I always end up liking the story as a whole. For example, I loved Hamlet. I thought it was a really cool story and that it presented really cool ideas and themes, but I hated reading it. I'm hoping King Lear is the same way in that it ends up being worth all of the effort that goes into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Shakespeare. But I do not think I would if I had not had the upbringing I did. I grew up going to Shakespeare shows and often saw at least six a year. I think seeing Shakespeare done well is the best way to understand his writing, and I think that that understanding opens so many doors for a reader.

    ReplyDelete