Friday, April 5, 2019

South Pacific the Musical

A couple of months ago, my grandmother brought me, my sister and brother to the musical South Pacific. The musical centers around two relationships between US military and the native southern islanders or Orientals during World War II. Usually, when my grandmother takes us to musicals, I tend to really enjoy what I see. However, I didn't really enjoy South Pacific.

The reason wasn't because there was bad acting or bad music, but that the native islanders were portrayed in a very stereotypical "oriental" way. They were portrayed as mysterious, and seemingly always up to something, and didn't understand the "smarter" US officers. While the musical started in 1940, its success keeps it running to this day. To many including my younger brother and sister, this representation of the East, Asians, and islanders contributes to the Oriental view.

No comments:

Post a Comment