Friday, April 5, 2019

Orientalism

Saeed’s theory on Orientalism is a very grim but realistic view on the privilege and arrogance of the Western world and how we choose to treat and look at the rest of the world, in which we see as “uncivilized” or the “other”. In this theory he is saying that Orientalism is another way for the Western world to maintain and enforce their dominance over the Eastern world, by reinforcing myths or stories about other cultures that paints them as less than the Western world. This is how the Western world justifies its power. The Western world makes it seem as if we are so much more advanced and cultured and better than the rest of the world, which is why we are who we are. This dates back to the colonization from long ago, when the powers such as Britain and France began colonizing other countries and creating stereotypes to justify their wrongdoings, much like America has done in the past. Orientalism is essentially the furthering of imperialism, and maintaining power. In literature and entertainment false narratives are made about other parts of the world, that are not true, and Western culture looks at these places as “different” or “less than”, just from what they are seeing and reading. The problem is America allows itself to look at these people as the other, rather than accepting that they are people living in their own place, and this is why there is no change. Western culture needs to take its bias and arrogance out of play and truly learn about and understand these people all over the world, to create hegemony. Right now, Western culture just looks at people as the other in order for them to maintain power and stay on top.
In my life I admit that I tend to give in to the Orientalist ways of the media, whether it be subconsciously or not. However, it is my fault because I never really decided to learn, or even thought about learning about what other cultures are like or who they are, or even the fact that they are just normal people. I have noticed in my life that when I am watching movies such as “Indiana Jones”, they tend to portray other cultures, especially in the Middle East, they made them look like savages or crazy people, and I noticed that, but I never went any deeper. Just by that I am contributing to Orientalism, because of the fact that I don’t go deeper and learn, the stereotypes I am being shown, are the only looks I really have at these parts of the world. With that being said, I am contributing to this, by not taking it upon myself to learn about other cultures. Whenever I hear about them I just go to a preconceived notion in my head that tells me who they are, instead of looking for myself, and I need to change that.

1 comment: