Friday, September 30, 2016

What's Going On?

Initially, the book began with stating that the narrator's "Maman" had died. The first thing I was thinking was that the book would possibly be about that narrator's mourning process or reminiscing times with his mother. The second chapter, though, focuses on the narrator chilling in his apartment and it also establishes how he just hates Sundays. I suppose the main point of chapter two was the transition from the narrator's mother's funeral to getting ready for work the next day: "It occurred to me that anyway one more Sunday was over, that Maman was buried now, that I was going back to work, and that, really, nothing had changed" (24). And soon enough, mentions of Maman diminish as the we enter into the third chapter. Finally, we get to see other people in his life (should we consider them as his friends?). What is the purpose of the man and his dog or Raymond and his behavior? To me, it seems like Meursault just doesn't have much of a personality.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! Meursault really seems devoid of emotions, and very disconnected with his mother's death.

    ReplyDelete