Friday, September 30, 2016

Dark Humor In The Stranger

"The woman kept on crying. It surprised me, because I didn't know who she was. I wished I didn't have to listen to her anymore (pg. 10).

This quote, shows not only how distant Monsieur Meursault was from his mother, but also how he isn't as emotionally involved in the situation as others. I think that this shows the dark humor in the story because the narrator doesn't want to see his mother, and is more worried about his boss being mad at him for missing work than he is about his mother being dead. It is almost as if he sees his mother dying as an inconvenience rather than a tragedy. This isn't directly funny, but it has a sense of dark humor that is exemplified by the narrator constantly making light of the situation.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, I feel that the narrator is talking about everything other than the death of his mother. He talks about and thinks about the scenery, other people's misery, and other things. He doesn't want to face his mother's death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that the narrator is very disconnected from the rest of society. He never shows that much emotion such as not wanting to go see his mother. It could be the dark humor of the story for the narrator to be disconnected from society.

    ReplyDelete