Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Whatif

When I was little, my parents would read my sister and I short stories at bedtime. Once in a while, my mom would read from a collection of Shel Silverstein's poems. I loved when she would do this because I got to hear so many different stories in such a short amount of time. One of my favorite Silverstein poems is Whatif. At the time, it seemed like a goofy story about a person who worries all the time. However, as I have grown up, I find that this poem is applicable to all stages of my life.

Silverstein opens the poem by providing the reader with imagery of worries climbing into his head: "Last night, while I lay thinking here,/some Whatifs crawled inside my ear/ and pranced and partied all night long/and sang their same old Whatif song." From there, he begins to rattle off a list of worries that get progressively obscure. "Whatif I'm dumb in school?/ Whatif they'd closed the swimming pool?/ Whatif I get beaten up?/ Whatif there is poison in my cup?" Finally after a long list of crazy worries, Silverstein recognizes that his thinking is irrational. Although this poem seems trivial at first, I think it is a good way to look at the upcoming transitions in our lives.

The pressure and anxiety that comes with senior year is a problem that breaks down many people. People let their minds be dominated by factors they can hardly control and its easy to get carried away. However, I think this poem is a gentle reminder that we should all stop worrying about the "Whatifs" and focus on the present and enjoy the time we have left with what is so familiar to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment