Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Shakespeare's sister shall live

In the excerpt from A Room of One's Own, by Virginia Woolf explains that, yes Shakespeare had a sister, but there is no way that she could have came up with any pieces of literature that her brother could have came up with. Woolf makes it very clear that it is not her lack of ability to write because she is a girl, but rather she was born into a time period that oppressed women and wouldn't let them do activities such as write.

Throughout the entire passage, the one line that popped out at me and got my mental juices flowing was in the final paragraph where Woolf writes, "Now my belief is that this poet [Shakespeare's sister] who never wrote a word and was buried at the crossroads still lives. She lives in you and in me, and in many other women who are not here tonight, for they are washing up the dishes and putting the children to bed" (Woolf 39). Usually people are remembered because of what they said, not what they didn't say. His sister is remembered because she wasn't able to write, she wasn't able to express herself. She serves as a reminder of what happens when you oppress women. If Shakespeare and his sister lived in a different time period, we would be studying two Shakespeare's instead of one.

3 comments:

  1. I like this analysis- it is concise and gets to the point. I also think the sentence, "She lives in you and in me, and in many other women who are not here tonight, for they are washing up the dishes and putting the children to bed," is very powerful. It attacks the issue of women's stereotypical role in society in a unique way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your analysis. I thought it was really interesting that Woolf wrote about Shakespeare's sister, who never wrote anything. I think that you observation of Shakespeare's as reminder is a great insight and I believe it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good analysis, you really break it down and your line "Usually people are remembered because of what they said, not what they didn't say. His sister is remembered because she wasn't able to write, she wasn't able to express herself." really picks at the heart of the matter.

    ReplyDelete