Saturday, November 8, 2014

Edna Rejecting Veblen

After analyzing Veblen's thoughts about the leisure class and what women "should" be doing, I immediately thought that Edna defies nearly everything he says. Unlike Veblen's theory, Edna feels little to no attachment to her children or her husband. She takes her time to do meaningful things that benefit her self growth. She feels no obligation to make sure other people are comfortable, as Veblen said many women do. Although some people in class initially rejected Edna, I admire her. It takes a special person to actively live life for herself and only for herself. Edna is the epitome of "only worry about yourself."

Although Edna took her growth and awakening extremely seriously I think people can learn from both her and Veblen. From Edna, people can learn that gender roles and stereotypes can be defied and proven wrong in magnificent ways. From Veblen, people can learn that things we may think are true today will probably end up changing in the future.

On a separate note, I found a music video that I think accurately summarizes some of Edna's feelings at the end of her awakening. Although the lyrics don't really connect, I think the way it was filmed (especially the beach scenes and the flashbacks) show a modern and extreme approach to what Edna was feeling back in Victorian times.


2 comments:

  1. I think that's an interesting point to make, that Veblen's argument can make us aware that opinions and norms are ever changing. As an overarching theme, "this will change in time" is an excuse that could let an author write basically anything they wanted and stand by it in full. I think that Veblen's belief that a woman's sole purpose to create for men is a bit extreme, but he clearly outlines a pattern of dominance/submissiveness that Benjamin would smile upon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I admire Edna. For letting herself break social barriers and opening her eyes to the world around her. After watching the video you posted, though, I think I have an even better understanding of how another reader might admire Edna. The last minute of the video shows the woman's "ultimate release" and she finally appears happy. I think the point to take away from this book is more of that Edna is happier when she can "release" the barriers that confine her. I appreciate the video you added, it made me understand Edna on a deeper level.

    ReplyDelete