Sunday, January 31, 2016

What is our obligation to give?

Singer presented a very interesting idea in his article, the thought of giving all of the money you spend on luxuries to international organizations that help and feed starving children. I agree with his belief that it is important to donate to these organizations, but I do not agree that people should give up buying things they enjoy completely. 
I do believe that a privileged person has some responsibility to give back, but not in the ridiculous amount Singer is suggesting. 
I think Singer does not touch on a very important point that I definitely believe in, the idea of not just giving your money, donating your time. Donating your time can be just as beneficial if not more so than just giving money, and if you are not willing to give so much money to an organization but want to still feel good about yourself morally, donating time is perfect. A person should not feel bad about themselves if they don´t want to give up all of their luxuries, it´s an interesting, but way to extreme of a proposal. 

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your point about donating your time. Singer seems to think that money is the only thing that matters in helping people, but never talks about the volunteers that are actually going out and providing care for those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree Maya. I like the point you raised about donating your time. I also think it is very important to donate, but not to a point that effects you in a detrimental way. There are other ways to give back. For example, like you said, volunteering. I think this a very important point that Singer does not mention.

    ReplyDelete