Monday, March 9, 2015

A Westernized View of Motherhood

In The Reproduction of Mothering, Nancy Chodorow provides a basic explanation for something that has been oh-so-very-visible in our society for as far back as history takes us.  Chodorow looks at the phenomenon in which women tend to be the care-takers and nurturers of children, tending to have a life centered around the home, while men do not tend to take on such a role when it comes to parenting and spend most of their time outside the home.  Chodorow theorizes that women have strong connections with their children from the time they are born, beginning with nursing them, so this type of connection stays constant even as their children grow out of the nursing years, so women, thus are bound to the home to keep this connection alive and well.  It is not usually the case for men.
I liked Chodorow's analysis in the sense that it gave me a new perspective on the concept of motherhood.  I agree with her explanation because it is logical and makes sense when applied to real-life situations.  When I was little, I was very attached to my mother and didn't care much for my father; I didn't spend as much time with him.  Now, at seventeen, I still can't bear being away from my mom, but I can go weeks without speaking to my dad and not care very much.
However, I think Chodorow's explanation is a bit objective in the sense that it does not account for outside factors influencing the different mother/father dynamics that exist around the world. The words "motherly" and "mothering" are used all the time to describe women and their actions.  But don't those words mean different things in different cultures?  Not everywhere in the world is the same, and Chodorow's analysis is very Westernized.  Sexism and the dominance of gender binaries are extremely prevalent everywhere, and it is likely that not all of these specific problems originated from the phenomenon that Chodorow explains.
It's hard to pinpoint the origin of something that has prevailed in our society for hundreds, if not thousands, of years.  I think Nancy Chodorow takes a good stab at it, but I believe that her explanation is far too simplistic and objective for such an overbearing concept.  Instead of focusing on the root of the problems that have caused widespread sexism, I think it would be a better idea to come up with ways to fix the problem that is already so far ingrained in our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment